I had that moment last week.
I was looking at my What to Expect Pregnancy App on my iPod, and it said: Countdown to due date: 5 weeks, 3 days.
5 weeks?! When did this happen??
This pregnancy has flown by. Parts of it have seemed slow (probably partly due to the fact that we moved half-way through it, and that I didn’t actually look pregnant until about 23 weeks along), but I look back and wonder what happened to the time. I feel as though I have been preparing in little ways for our bundle (reading books, talking to people about their experiences, getting things we need, preparing baby’s room, choosing names, praying, organizing, etc), but now it’s crunch time. The projects I’ve started and want to be done in time for the baby’s birth need to get finished…now!
So on Saturday I made a list. I like lists because they are organized and linear. You know exactly what you need to do and you can check things off as you get them done. And yes, I am one of those people who adds things to the list that they’ve finished already to give themselves a sense of accomplishment. Andrew does it too.
Here’s to hoping that this list keeps getting smaller, rather than larger! I’ve already checked off a few things that I’ve done since Saturday. Woot!
My Nesting To Do List
- Attend our natural childbirth class. √
- Buy newborn disposable diapers.√ (We are going to be cloth diapering, but for simplicity’s sake, we are starting with disposables for the first few weeks until we can get into a routine)
- Order cloth diapers and diaper detergent. √ I got BumGenius and I have a few FuzziBunz that were given to me.
- Get a swimsuit for our water birth. √
- Finish getting the baby’s room ready.
- Wash, organize, and go through baby’s clothes and “stuff.”
- Pack the hospital bags. I say “bags” because they recommend 4 different bags – one for mama during labor, one for mama’s hospital stay, one for papa, and one for baby. I am going to consolidate these into one or two bags, but it’s important to remember all 4 of those sets of needs. (Do you have any recommendations of things to pack…outside of the norm?)
- Install baby’s carseat and get it inspected at the hospital next week.
- Finish crocheting the baby’s blanket, hat, and booties.
- Finish our Shutterfly wedding album. Yes, we just celebrated our two year anniversary and I have still not finished this. I’m about 1/3 of the way through.
- Do a little more research on breast-feeding and baby schedules. I am going to be reading a book that is similar to Baby Wise.
- Find a pediatrician.
- Finish the art for the nursery. I’m excited to show that to you when it’s finished!
- Buy a few more baby items – changing pad cover, some crib sheets, a bouncy seat, and a hanging shelf for clothes.
- Finish writing thank you cards for people who have given us gifts.
- Go to the eye doctor.
So, it looks like I have about 12 things left to do. Several of these things are already in progress, so I think I have a good start. It’s hard when you move in the middle of a pregnancy because a lot of the time that you could have used to prepare for baby has to go toward packing and unpacking a home instead. Oh well. Things will get done and it will all work out. :)
What are some things you did/are doing to prepare for your baby’s arrival?